Monday, June 21, 2004

 

Missed Opportunity

Before going to bed on Saturday night I set my alarm for 4:30 a.m. I had filled my Camelback with Powerade, hitched up the bike rack to my car, and gotten my bib shorts, shirt and socks ready so that I wouldn't have to disturb my wife in the morning.

The plan was to be on the road by 5 a.m. at the latest and be in Central Park by 5:30. I could ride until 8:20, almost three hours (and around 45 miles), and still make it back in time to shower and get to the 9:15 minyan.

Sunday was supposed to be a magnificent day, with high temperatures in the low 70s. That meant temperatures ranging from about 55 to 65 during my ride. Ideal.

Except that I woke up at 6 a.m. My alarm didn't go off. It didn't go off because I didn't set it correctly. I did set the correct time but I didn't tutn the alarm on. What a loser.

So, instead of three hours on the rolling hills of Central Park, it was 45 minutes on the pancake-flat terrain of Hewlett Bay.

I tried to be grown up about this but that is not my nature. Sunday is the only day I can do long rides. I can ill afford to give up mornings like this if I want to be properly trained for the ride.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?