Friday, September 03, 2004

 

NERD

On Wednesday evening I rode with MHW and my two younger kids. We went for a leisurely ride in Hewlett Bay Park. I offered my younger son the use of my old Schwinn Circuit road bike. He looked at me as if I were nuts.

"Dad, if I used a road bike my friends would think I was a total nerd."

I told him the road bike would be 50% easier, and much faster, to ride than his piece of junk hybrid. It didn't matter. He hopped on the hybrid and off we went.

Youth IS wasted on the young.

Comments:
Hah-- I just had the opposite situation occur. I've been riding sporadically with my 16 year-old son--
I'm on a circa 1978 Peugot U10, and he's on some dinky
mountain bike. We've been doing 10-25 mile rides and
I'm always waiting for him, despite his having great
stamina and endurance. I told him all along it was the
bike, but he insisted otherwise and said he liked what
he was riding. Last Sunday we went for an 18 mile ride
and he took my wife's road bike (I had just installed
a cycle computer on it). Not only did he keep up with me, but we've got some nasty hills in Staten Island and he did them easily for the first time.

Upshot is we're getting him a road bike-- he's gonna
save the heavy MTB for when he rides with his friends, none of whom are up to any decent mileage. But for
those long Sunday morning runs-- he's seen the light.
 
Road bike?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?