Wednesday, November 17, 2004

 

The End

We rode from Har Hetzl into the entrance to the hospital. (Strangely, my chain came off twice while I was leaving Har Hertzl. This hadn't happened the entire ride).

We were greeted by many of the patients and parents of Alyn Hospital as well as by the many relatives that had come to great their riders. (Although my daughter was nearby at seminary, I told her not to bother because she had a great class at the time.)

After sorting out the bicycle situation (I left my bike to be disassembled and boxed; others had rented bikes and others were riding them back to their homes and hotels), there was a short ceremony. It was pretty moving. They announced that so far almost $900,000 had been raised and that they were hoping the number would go up to $1.5 million.

I've raised just a bit less than $12,000, almost none of which came from my various blog audiences. A shout out to my man PRODLY who did come through. (Even though I have had some fun at his expense (and he at mine), and even though he does inhabit his own unique universe, the more I get to 'know' him the more I like him. Have some Tofu on me, Prodly!). If anyone would like to contribute at this late date click here and put MoChassid as the person you are sponsoring.

After the ceremony, I grabbed my stuff and caught a cab with another rider back to the place I was staying in Jerusalem. Having gone to sleep at around midnight and gotten up at 4:30 a.m. and having riden 18 of the hardest miles I've ever done (plus another 8 difficult miles) I was wiped. I took a nap for an hour and a half. Really comfortable bed and no one nearby to snore.

The hospital had scheduled a dinner for later that night but I blew it off because i was so beat. I also wanted to have dinner with my daughter. I heard that I didn't miss much although I would have liked to say a final farewell to some of the riders.

Dinner with my daughter was wonderful (I ate massive quantities) and then I had one of the soundest night's sleep that I can remember.

All in all, it was an amazing bike tour. Way beyond my expectations.

I'm already psyched for next year.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?