Monday, July 04, 2005

 

Coasting to the Gold Coast

I put in almost 90 miles this extended weekend.

On Friday morning before work, I rode with my son almost thirty miles out to Point Lookout. (The vasikin minyan at the Young Israel of Woodmere has given me tremendous flexibility in my training. I could not have done this ride or many of the organozed summer rides without it). Yesterday, I rode with him 4 laps (24 miles) in Central Park. I managed not to kill any animals this time. This morning I rode by myself back to Point Lookout.

The weather all weekend has been spectacular and I was actually cold when I started riding both yesterday and today.

This coming sunday my sister and I are scheduled to do the Gold Coast ride on the North Shore of Long Island. We are going to do 70 miles, our longest ride this year. I know this will be a struggle but I think we will manage ok. It is very hilly and very challenging but I think we are ready.

Once again, like last year but more accute, my biggest training concern is my weight. Simply put, I seem to be vanishing. I am down about four pounds (to about 128) with 4 months untill the ride. I find myself struggling to ingest enough calories to maintain the strength I need for these long rides. I have an appetite and like to eat but I find myself getting full very quickly and unable to eat as much as I need. Being thin is good for long distance riding (particularly for climbing) but sometimes I feel very wiped out after a long ride. I don't really know what to do.

Comments:
Awww, boo-hoo, you can't eat enough and you're stilling losing weight.

We all empathize with you MoC.

Not!

Are those violins I hear playing for you?
 
Why don't you try ensure or one of the other food replacement drinks. It's exra calories but not too filling.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?