Sunday, July 10, 2005

 

Toast at the Coast

My sister and I did the 72 mile option at the Gold Coast Century ride on the North Shore of Long Island. It was much harder than I had anticipated. The hills were very steep and they just kept coming. Add to that the intense heat (around 90 degrees) and it made for a very brutal day.

The ride was 24 miles longer, and much more difficult, than any ride my sister had done previously. By the last 10 miles she was pretty cooked but she hung in and finished. I assured her that, though somewhat different in structure, today's ride was as difficult as any day on the Alyn Ride with the exception of the optional climbs and the climb to Jerusalem.

One issue that has been brewing was chrystallized today. My sister, while in amazing shape, simply cannot keep up with me. Today's ride took me at least an hour longer than it would otherwise have taken because I rode more slowly than I would have and I still waited for my sister repeatedly at major turns in the ride.

Believe me. I am no great rider. Compared, for example, to most of the riders who did either 72 or 100 miles in today's ride, I am a complete piker. However, on the Alyn Ride, I am one of the stronger riders, clearly within the top 15%. So, it remains to be seen how this will play out in Israel. I don't think my sister will do the two optional climbs but I don't know whether it will make sense for us to ride together. More about this another time.

On the losing weight front, today really brings the issue home. I probably burned 6000 calories and probably consumed 2000, maximum. It's pretty simple.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?