Thursday, August 04, 2005

 

Misplaced Mussar

My father-in-law ("FIN"), zzg, hates the fact that I ride. The only thing he hates more is that the fact that his own son is an avid rider.

FIN grew up during the depression and his entire way of looking at life has been profoundly informed by that experience. As a consequence, stability and rationality are very important parts of life. He spends and invests his money cautiously. He always stressed to his children the importance of education and a professional career (he tried, unsuccessfully, over the years to convince MHW to enter the school system so that she could obtain a pension, something that he values greatly; MHW has always freelanced because of her desire for flexibility).

My brother in law ("BIL"), FIN's only son, is an extremely successful professional, one of the most successful practitioners of what he does in the entire country. That makes FIN very happy. However, after making aliyah two years ago (he still works in the U.S.), BIL got into off road biking and did the Alyn Bike Ride. This, of course, did not make FIL happy. FIL cannot understand how a grown man can jeopordize everything he has worked for to ride a stupid bicycle (especially off road. Come to ythink of it he has a point). What drove FIL even more nuts was that, having seen the DVD BIL did on his ride, I decided that I had to do it as well (albeit on road rather than off).

Every once in a while FIL reminds me how dumb and dangerous it is to ride and tries to get me to give it up. So, when I had my accident last week I had no intention of telling him about it. But, of course, the word got out and one of the eyewitnesses who goes to FIL's shul told him all about it. (Another reason there should be no talking in shul). I found out that FIL knew and braced myself for the coming mishabeirach.

What happened, though, is classic. BIL made the mistake of calling FIL just after he heard about my accident. FIL gave BIL the mishabeirach and, as with the accident itself, I emerged unscathed! I had an accident and my poor BIL had to endure a five minute rant! You can't make this stuff up.

Comments:
Wow, just don't get too used to all this luck, you never know when God is going to yank the front wheel off your bike to see how fast you can learn to unicycle! ;-)
 
G-d doesn't need a bicycle to give someone an accident.
 
Velvel: what you said. That's what I keep telling my FIL! As Lance once said, "It's not about the bike!"
 
velvel:

on the other hand, there is the thought that placing oneself into a situation of danger causes Hashem to judge, and even if no accident happens, merits are detracted. From Rif Shabbat 13a citing Shabbat 31b:

Rabbi Yochanan said: A man should never walk into a place of danger and say that a miracle will be performed for him, lest a miracle is not performed for him, and if a miracle is performed for him, it detract from his merits.

And Rabbi Yochanan said: What is the Scripture {that showed this detracting of merit}?
{When Yaakov is about to face Esav and prays to Hashem, in Bereishit 32:11:}

יא קָטֹנְתִּי מִכֹּל הַחֲסָדִים, וּמִכָּל-הָאֱמֶת, אֲשֶׁר עָשִׂיתָ, אֶת-עַבְדֶּךָ: כִּי בְמַקְלִי, עָבַרְתִּי אֶת-הַיַּרְדֵּן הַזֶּה, וְעַתָּה הָיִיתִי, לִשְׁנֵי מַחֲנוֹת. 11 I am not worthy of all the mercies, and of all the truth, which Thou hast shown unto Thy servant; for with my staff I passed over this Jordan; and now I am become two camps. {which hyper-literally, and thus midrashically, may be taken to mean "I have been lessened from all of the mercies."}
 
Nice site!
[url=http://vduvmbif.com/mxjw/bvht.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://ymqdygfp.com/xwil/wopj.html]Cool site[/url]
 
Thank you!
http://vduvmbif.com/mxjw/bvht.html | http://qbnmopxx.com/cjlv/gygw.html
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?