Sunday, August 07, 2005

 

Three Months To Go...

..until the Alyn Ride.

This morning I went out to Central Park with my sister and older son. I had my strongest ride by far. We rode very hard for all 24 miles including all of the hills. At the quarter mark of the last (of four) lap, I was starting to get tired. Just then, a women riding the same bike as mine (a Trek 1500, albeit a newer model), zipped passed me on a straightaway. I decided to try to reel her in and did. So, my last lap ended up my strongest. Ironically, my sister, who was following closely behind me, was also getting very tired. When she saw me kick it into a higher gear, she decided that she wasn't going to let me get away so she, too, picked up her pace.

Ah. My sister. Much has happened, good and bad. She bought herself an expensive and amazing new carbon fiber bike and is now not only able to keep up with me but, if she really drops the hammer, she can drop me as well. Her riding has improved remarkably with the new bike. I think it is a combination of the merits of her new bike, her old bike having upright bars and, according to the bike shop where she bought her new bike, the old one being ill-fitting. This, of course, has led to a severe case of bike envy on my part. I will write about bike envy next time. Suffice it to say that I am struggling with my yaitzer harah.

The other thing that happened is that she decided not to do the ride in Israel. She has her reasons which are not for publication. This is very disappointing, especially because she would easily have been able to ride with me and, indeed, would have been among the top half-dozen female riders (despite being a few years older than me!). So, I am on my own.

So, with three months to go before the rise, I am in extremely good shape. I am riding strong with room for improvement, I am at a good weight, fluctuating between 129 and 131. (I expect to be at 128 for the ride). I expect to do about four serious long rides before the Israel ride and continue apace with my spinning. All I need to do is stay healthy and I think I will be fine.

Comments:
you can also read him at
http://mochassid.blogspot.com/
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?