Sunday, April 23, 2006

 

Starting Over

Next year's Alyn Ride will take place in November, about 6 1/2 months from now. This year's ride offers an insane 400 mile option, about 80 miles a day. I am seriously considering this option for reasons that I will expound upon in the future. In any event, the time to start training seriously is now.

While I have done a lot of spinning during the winter, I have been on my bike exactly once since the end of last year's ride. It has rained or been very cold virtually every Sunday morning since March. This morning is no different. So, I will be back on my spinner for an hour later in the morning. I am getting really frustrated.

Next week starts the 'century' season, with a metric century (100 kilometers, or 62 miles) on Long Island. I will sign up for that, although I may only ride the 50 mile option rather than the full century. My plan is to do one century (or part thereof) each month until the ride.

Last year, that was the one part of my training that really didn't work out. I missed most of the rides for various reasons and ended up only doing one long organized ride (in early June, no less) and two brutal 50k rides in Israel. While I was able to manage a very difficult tour, my tusch suffered for not being used to the hours in the seat.

In addition to the local organized rides, I am looking forward to three days of riding in Israel in June. I will be flying back from Hong Kong, landing early Friday morning in Tel Aviv. Like last year, I will rent a bike and ride Friday, Sunday and Monday mornings in the Ramat Raziel area, about 50 kilometers of extremely hilly terrain each day.

And, of course, I will continue doing a tremendous amount of simulated hill work on my spinner.

That's the plan, anyway.

(I posted a review of last year's ride on my other blog and I will link those posts in the near future).

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?