Sunday, April 22, 2007

 

And So Begins The Task, IV

With about six months to go before Alyn Ride VIII, I finally rode my bike today, the first time since January. I rode about 25 flat miles out to Lido beach.

I am way out of shape, relatively speaking. While I was able to knock out the 25 miles easily enough, there is no comparison to the shape I was in last year at this time. I am just crazy busy at work and have not been able to get to the gym nearly enough. Add the lousy weekend weather that we've been experiencing and you've accounted for my mediocre state of readiness.

The good news is that I have six months to go. The bad news is that I don't expect things at work to get any easier until the summer (if then). For example, in the next ten business days starting tomorrow, in addition to all my work I have one breakfast meeting and 8 business lunches. Deadly on two counts. Too much eating (despite all my self-imposed rules) and not enough gym time.

There is no chance that I will sign up for the challenge ride this year. I will be happy to be able to get in shape for the regular ride. I will have to bury my normal intensity and get used to being an over-the-hill washout.

In any event, this morning's ride was ideal. Beautiful weather, very little wind. It's mornings like this that remind me how much I love to ride my bicycle.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?